Wednesday, March 23, 2011

They Call It Movie Magic For A Reason

I am a lady of great class and sophistication, and since I don’t have to look at your face or hear your sarcastic laughter while I’m typing, I will continue to pretend that that’s true.

Still, even a gentile, high society female such as myself has her moments of juvenile idiocy, where I revert back to some sort of spastic child, full of big-eyed wonderment and excited arm-flailing. Such was the case last Monday when my former film school, LMU, screened the documentary, “Exporting Raymond,” written and directed by Phil Rosenthal, who stayed for a Q&A following the film. You may not have heard of this film yet, but I’m certain you’ve heard of Mr. Rosenthal’s wildly successful show, “Everybody Loves Raymond.”

I rarely get excited meeting actors or celebrities, or at least, I rarely get so excited I can’t keep it together enough to feign aloofness until they exit the room. Writers, however, are a different story. You see, writers possess an ability to create something out of nothing, sort of like wizards. And you know how I feel about wizards. Perchance this is why upon conclusion of the previously mentioned question and answer period, I felt obliged to approach Phil Rosenthal and tell him how hilariously magical and brilliant he was, though not in those specific words. Sarah Terry, another LMU alumni and close friend, reported that I “gushed like a giddy teen meeting Justin Bieber and remained in an utter daze of pure elation after he (Rosenthal) hugged her (me).”

But you don’t have to be a fan of “Everybody Loves Raymond,” to appreciate “Exporting Raymond.” At its heart, it’s a movie about the universality of humor, and the attempts of one hilarious gentleman to bridge cultural gaps through the media of comedy. The film starts with Rosenthal setting off to Russia, where he will help a team of filmmakers create a Russian version of his hit show. Along the way, Rosenthal learns the answers to such questions as, “What is K & R insurance?” and “Who is the Russian equivalent of Peter Boyle?” The answers are kidnapping and ransom, and a guy named Boris Klyuyev.

The language barrier is the least of Rosenthal’s obstacles in getting the Russian Raymond made, and at times it seems the only thing universal about the project is the frustration of show business. It all makes for a harrowing journey for Rosenthal but a rather entertaining one for audiences. Even if you know nothing about television production, who can’t relate to being placed in a foreign and possibly uncomfortable situation, where it feels like no matter what you say and how you say it, the message falls on deaf, Russian ears. Okay, maybe not the Russian part. Add onto that a cast of characters (a Russian fashionista costume designer, a mysterious bodyguard who collects seashells) that you couldn’t make up because your screenwriter’s workshop would say they’re too over the top and unbelievable, and you have yourself one rollicking documentary. I bet you thought you’d never see the words “rollicking” and “documentary” together in one sentence! Well, you’re wrong, thanks to the magic of Phil Rosenthal. I told you, writers are wizards.

And as if making CBS bath tubs full of money wasn’t enough to keep him busy (P.S. He’s also guest starring on an episode of 30 Rock in a couple weeks!) Phil Rosenthal also wrote a book back in 2006, titled “You’re Lucky You’re Funny.” Honestly, I wish I had read this book my first week in film school. In fact, I wish it had come along with my tuition. $60,000, good for one masters degree and one copy of Phil Rosenthal’s book. There are plenty of books out there on the subject of screenwriting, specifically on to improve your craft, properly structure a script or develop an idea. Few of them, however, say anything about what it’s like to struggle through horrid jobs before you finally break in, or what it’ll be like once you finally do. He discusses his inspiration for “Raymond,” how the project developed, from concept to finale. I love behind the scenes memoirs, but rarely do any manage to be so witty and informational, so inspiring and irreverent at the same time, as Rosenthal‘s does. This I tell you now, just as I spastically told it to the amiable Phil Rosenthal, who smiled politely through my barrage of fervent complimenting. Not only is he a ridiculously amusing fellow, but an incredibly nice person too.

0 comments:

Post a Comment